Lift the Lid on Easter
The ‘Lift the Lid on Easter’ Discovery Box explores the biblical accounts of the events leading up to, and including, the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The wide range of resources allows the story of the first Easter to be explored in different ways and in varying depth. There are also opportunities for children to reflect on the importance of Easter for Christians.
The ‘Lift the Lid on Easter’ resources provide opportunities for children to work towards the following learning outcomes.
- Know that Easter is a Christian festival which remembers Jesus’ death on the cross on Good Friday and resurrection from the dead on Easter Sunday.
- Know that all four gospel accounts in the Bible give details of the first Easter.
- Know and retell events of Holy Week – the week leading up to Easter which includes Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.
- Think about and consider the thoughts, emotions and actions of the people involved in the Easter story.
- Begin to understand how the story of Easter fits into the bigger story of the Bible and God’s relationship with people.
- Begin to understand the importance of Easter within the Christian faith and what Christians believe about the death and resurrection of Jesus.
- Describe how some Easter traditions link to the Easter story.
- Recognise, understand and use with confidence religious and theological vocabulary linked to Easter.
Discovery Box Contents
- The Story of Easter – a set of 15 books containing a chronological biblical account of Easter, complemented with a glossary which gives explanations of words and historical context.
- Journey Through Holy Week – a collection of artefacts and information cards to use for discussion, quiet reflection or display.
- People of Easter Discovery Cards – a set of discussion cards designed to help children consider the motivations and feelings of twelve key people involved in the Easter Story.
- Easter Story Boxes – a set of boxes each containing a story cloth and simple props to help to tell the Easter story in six simple steps.
- Easter Role Play – a selection of coloured scarves with six simple scripts for children to use to retell the story of Easter.
- Easter Symbols Posters – six colourful posters portraying Easter symbols and traditions.
- Thinking Hats – a set of discussion and assessment questions based on Edward do Bono’s system of six thinking processes.
- Easter Quiz – 30 multiple-choice quiz questions that can be used as an assessment tool before or after studying the topic of Easter.
- Downloadable Resources – a selection of additional Easter resources can be downloaded from the Lift the Lid website (www.liftthelid.org.uk).