Lift the Lid on Creation
The ‘Lift the Lid on Creation’ Discovery Box contains engaging and thought-provoking resources that encourage children to consider creation and the natural world. There are opportunities for children to reflect on the role that each human plays within the created world, as well as time to consider how Christians may interpret the biblical accounts of creation and their response to a creator God.
The ‘Lift the Lid on Creation’ resources provide opportunities for children to work towards the following learning outcomes.
- Describe what a Christian might believe about the beginnings of the universe and understand why Christians may have different beliefs about this.
- Describe what a Christian might learn about God from the creation stories in the Bible and from looking at the world around them.
- Understand what Christians believe it means to be made in God’s image.
- Make suggestions as to what can be learned from the story of Adam and Eve and The Fall.
- Recognise that creation is part of the bigger story found in the Bible.
- Describe different ways Christians may respond to ‘God the Creator’.
- Use appropriate religious or spiritual vocabulary.
Discovery Box Contents
- Seven Days of Creation – this unique banner and artefact bag can be used to tell the story of creation or as an interactive display.
- The Story of Creation – a set of 15 colourful books which explore the story of creation using text from the Bible, fun facts and puzzling questions.
- Awe and Wonder – a box of 16 photo cards inviting children to marvel at the natural world.
- Who Is The Creator? – a pack of photo cards and questions to triggers thoughts about what can be learned about a person by looking at what they have created.
- Super Senses – this discovery pack encourages young children to explore creation using all their senses.
- The Rescue Plan Game – a simple snakes and ladders game which demonstrates how creation fits into the big story of the whole Bible.
- Adam and Eve: The Fall – an activity box including wooden question blocks, six discussion cards and a vocabulary key ring which all help to explore the themes encountered in the story of The Fall.
- How Did The World Begin? – discussion activities which challenge children to consider different views about the origins of the universe and life.
- Days of Creation Posters – a set of seven colourful posters with inspiring images and thought-provoking questions.
- Thinking Hats – a set of discussion and assessment questions based on Edward de Bono’s six thinking processes.
- Find Someone – a simple game exploring similarities and differences between individuals and demonstrating that everyone is special and unique.
- Downloadable Resources – complementary worksheets along with an interactive activity and further teacher information can be downloaded from the Lift the Lid website (www.liftthelid.org.uk).